Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My shinai, the extension of my arm.

The shinai is the bamboo sword used during Japanese swordplay so that combatants can attack using force and actually hit their opponents without fear of serious injury. Before this mock sword was invented it was all about the bokken, or solid wooden sword. In Kendo Kata the bokken never touched the opponent, or rather the partner. But today in Kendo the standard length shinai is the weapon of choice.



I've never seen a shinai bend before. But today I did. I wasn't there to take the photo, mind you.


To keep this bamboo extension from splintering it is not uncommon to soak or polish the shinai with oil. I personally use vegetable oil. Other areas of upkeep may involve washing the uniform (keikogi + hakama). Traditionally it is soaked in cold water with a mixture of rice vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar. This soaking in vinegar is a one-time thing to set the dye. But these modern days it is not necessary depending on the make.

No comments: