Thursday, June 28, 2007

Aculturalism, assimilation, and scary politics.

Aculturalism is a beautiful thing. The opposite, assimilation, is a stupid and naive thing. I know many folks who assimilate into the "American" culture and society. This is actually kind of a misnomer if you think about it. But still many people think they now "fit in" with the rest of the "American society." And by the rest of American society, of course, I mean the society that the media relentlessly portrays. Yet here and there are proud people losing any redeeming value of self-identity all in the name of being an American. Congratulations, you've just been assimilated into something meaningless. Yes, meaningless because assimilation is far from being a true American. Americans know where they come from. We know our heritage and our ancestors. So that's why I say it is meaningless. Such American citizens calling themselves as proud but has not a sense of true cultural identity are fools and are thus helplessly disillusioned with themselves and their fairytale America. It disturbs me quite honestly. Could it be that, that we see such a disproportionately large number of Americans who would rather die than live in another country? I am growing ever-increasingly shameful to be called an American.

Finally in the politcal landscape I can see two presidential hopefuls worthy enough for my vote. Yes, that is correct. For the first time in my life I will be voting for a president because for the first time I see real candidates who've the balls to make a difference. For the first time I hear long overdue and refreshing words of truth. For the first time I see potential presidents and not status-quo puppets. For the first time I will vote, not because I've been lazy in the past, but because in the past I'd no desire to take part in a meaningless political auction.

Take a guess at these presidential candidates. I'll give a hint: There are two.

2 comments:

fremen said...

the difference between the two canidates is marginal at best. both will continue the war, even Obama the supposed more liberal democrat has increased significantly the bombings, as allied us with the terrorist group northern alliance in Afghanistan. He promised to be hard on big business but has been even softer, the same with transparency in the white house. So u say aculturalism is a good thing. I respectfully disagree, to question your government is not un patriotic, dissent is what our country was based on

Anonymous said...

@fremen. Who did you think the candidates were?