Friday, June 15, 2007

Snakes in a Dream

Long time ago I had a reoccuring dream involving a forest with open prairie fields and snakes. In this dream it would start pouring buckets of rain, eroding away the red alkaline soil. Then suddenly everywhere I go and everywhere I look, I could see snakes. Snakes trying to stay dry. Snakes lying in mud having been revealed by the washed away earth. And any escape route that I sought was hindered or ruined by a snake in its path, usually a poisonous one which you can tell by its bright showy colors.

I haven't had snakes in my dreams until last night. The day turned to night. I became shocked as I was walking down a grassy path to see countless snakes scattered about. The path was a walkway, like the kinds along the sides of houses where the gate to the backyard usually is. These were very aggressive and very poisonous ones too which you just know in your dreams. Being suprised by the snakes on the path I quickly jumped onto the metal cox-wired fence, spiderman style. There were snakes on the fence as well. I was in deep shit. I ended up jumping my way out of that snake-infestation, super mario style.

But here is what has changed. In the past I woke up from such dreams when the serpent presence was overwhelming. But last night I picked up my pellet gun, strapped a case of extra pellets on my belt, and headed back to the snakes, shooting their heads as I see them from a safe distance of about 5 feet - still close enough to be on high alert. I felt paranoid about my surroundings. My arms weren't steady due to malpractice, but my aim was usually sufficient. Another thing that is different is that these snakes I killed were small, no longer than 2 or 3 feet in length which were unlike the 6 foot long snakes in my old rainy dreams.

But the most interesting thing that I remember from this dreamed scene is this: I was climbing up a wall when trying to exit out of the snake-infested grassy walkway (i keep thinking grassy knole). I reached up for the ledge. That's when I saw a green tree snake coiled up. Without have much time to react, it striked at my hand and bit my finger tip. But I noticed how soft the bite was. The fangs had missed my skin completely.

This dream also involved a giant tornado, which i witnessed from its birth from across the distance of a driveway. I was scared at first. Such dreams of tornados frighten the living daylights out of me. But the tornado, for once in my life, was headed away from me, not towards me. My fear turned to awe as I relaxed and enjoyed that fascinating and furocious elemental creature.

What could this dream mean?

1 comment:

jempress said...

i looked it up online: http://dreamsnightmares.com/snakes.html tell us what you think your dream means after reading it!! i'm curious :)