Monday, September 3, 2007

Turning 30.

I bore through my first earthquake this past week in California, and although I was oblivious to it when it occured it sure was pretty scary afterward when I had time to think about it. I never realized that when the earth shakes it is loud.

I am turning 30 in a few days but it won't feel any different because I've already been feeling the signs of age. Sad thing is that things will only gradually get worse from here on out. And life on earth just got shorter and will always continue to be as we each realize how precious and how short a lifetime really is.


I was lucky to witness a fabulous display of lightening from above the misty cloud plains in the sky. It was a totally wicked and spectacular dance of killer lights.

I spent significant time with the heavenly stars while lying face-up on the powdery beaches of Hollywood, FL. The cool and salty night air kept me company as it moved endlessly about me while the faint piercing light rays from some billion light years ago shone on my body. The warm salty emerald sea ate away at my detoxing body keeping me warm with its comforting and massaging waves. I didn't want to leave that sandy beach so infinitely soft, that bed in which I slept on while the very same stars I was watching were watching over me.

I think that life is good. But I think that it can be better. Not talking about money, love, vanity, or immortality. Talking about purpose, or the sense of it. I lost my purpose and sense in life. I don't know what it is any more. I don't know what it means any more. I guess to distract me from this unavoidable hole in my consciousness I try to fill it with great literature.

I finished another great masterpiece of Steinbeck. I read the last page over and over several times. I had to savor it again and again just so I could relive that moment in time when the words and their meanings become just as real, if not more, than life's existence itself. At this stage in my life Steinbeck's works has become my compass. It is showing and teaching me things through the lives and consequences of others.

I need at this time more of the good things in life such as food, love, and purpose. So this is my quest this year, on this brand new age of me, to discover more about me. Funny, scary, ridiculous, and psychotic as this may sound I don't know who I am.

I was suggested to read some literature authored by Freud. I never took that advice seriously. Perhaps this new line of reading will open up something about me. And so I guess I need to hit the bookstore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would not suggest Freud, but another great psychologist and Holocaust survivor - Victor Frankl (his most well known book is titled "Man's Search for Meaning"). I have lots of his books - you can borrow. AND - Happy birthday!! How are we celebrating? :)

Anonymous said...

Glad that you've found your passion in literature; everybody gotta have some kind of passion! And yeh, thanks for the Secret Garden upload.

Anne-Marie Lafortune said...

cute contemplations and descritpions! literature is definitely a wonderful passion. what's it like turning 30?