Thursday, October 2, 2014

Late for a Wedding Day


I was outside walking around alongside a dusty freeway. I was late for something. I was meeting with an old friend for breakfast. He had ordered already, but he had apparently left the restaurant thinking i would not show up. Fortunately at the last minute i arrived, and so he sat back down and started on his breakfast. My attention was on the locks and bagels (Mmmmm... smoked salmon). Inconsequentially, I noticed a long line for the men's restroom.

 

Now for some reason, on the day of my wedding, i was out playing golf until 6:30 pm. When i realized this i found my mom telling me to hurry up. I knew my parents were upset. Whats more, i knew my fiance was very upset. I got in the family Mustang and headed home, a house which i grew up in (per usual). Running even more late, i tried to be quick and efficient as possible. But i couldnt find a t shirt, so i settled for any shirt, a thin wife-beater. I found my white dress shirt, but when i put it on i realized how cheap it looked, super thin and translucent. Despite the time I tried on other shirts with no success. Eventually i found the "goto" white dress shirt, but it eventually turned burgundy on me. I told myself its just my imagination, and for a second it appeared to be white again in the reflection of the mirror. But then it turns back to burgundy. But for some reason i couldnt pay much attention to it. I had convinced myself, without much effort, that a burgundy shirt for a wedding would not be the end of me, because I was still running late, and i didnt even know how to get to the church for my own wedding, which was scheduled to start in 15 minutes. I decided i spent too much time worrying about the shirt. I still needed to wear the tie. I quickly learned that i forgot how to tie a tie. I asked my dad, and he showed me how to fold the shirt, super tightly, into a trunk of a tree of all things. I finally use the ipad to lookup how-to videos on youtube.

 
It was nothing short of great patience, an ultimate display of restraint under the most intense frustration. When i woke up from this dream my pulse was high and a sense of urgency enters me. Theres still so much to do.

No comments: