Sunday, July 25, 2004

The First Photo - A little mountain climb.

This is just a peak at a very intimidating mountain peak in Seoul, South Korea.
The hike began in the morning and after 3-4 hours of hiking up a rocky, forested mountain we were ready to begin our final ascent to the peak.

The peak of Bhukhan-san (Bhukhan mountain) is rocky, cold, and at the time, very very wet due to mild rain that day. After climbing my very first mountain (a relatively small one) I fell in love with the whole aspect of mountain climbing/hiking. Climbing to the peak is why they (the climbers) do it....because you are standing on top of the world, you can see for miles and miles and miles in 360 degrees, nature looks and feels so pristine at the summit, you are humbled by majestic mountain giants, it's a mental challenge, it's a physical challenge, and you just about wouldn't trade that ever-so-brief summit experience for anything.


See that "mountain" in the background? It's taller than it looks since you don't see the valley. The two people in the photo is Eric from California and Sheryl from Alaska. We're on a second mountain trekking over to Mt. Bhukhan.

I'm the one wearing the plastic bag on my head to keep my head warm and dry. And I look like an idiot wearing a huge contraceptive device on the top of my head. No wonder I had a few odd looks my way. (not sure why font size changed).


Here I am with Hye-Cheong literally crawling on the pinnacle of this mountain - the tallest of mt's in the area. The South Korean flag stands proudly at the highest point of this mountain. Scary to be up there - and very cold as well, especially if you're thinly dressed in damp clothes.
And yes, the plastic bag does help keep your head warm.
Isn't it funny how we're on our hands and knees, yet the two older ladies behind us aren't?


I'm such a dork.

No comments: