Friday, August 12, 2005

Clouded judgment

Twenty feet under water, breathing through an artificial respirator, gazing through a condensationed mask, and trying not to let the cold thermal-clines get to me - this was the scenario. The objective was to find a sunken man-made shark with a huge gaping mouth decorated with distinctively sharp teeth that brightly contrasted with the deep darkness of its throat. Just thinking about it brings chills down my spine. Yet here I was, at the bottom of a murky and muddy lake with only 20 ft visibility which seemed more like 8 ft visibility, trying to find this shark head-on. Suddenly all I see is mud, and lots of it. I was sinking. I gave a flutter of kicks but it was too late and too little. I should've kicked with all my might. Next thing I know I'm surrounded by a rising cloud of silt. Disorientation struck in no time. Where was I? What direction was I facing? Did I have enough air in my tank? Was I rising or falling? Then in a mixture of relief and disappointment I saw the surface from beneath. I saw bubbles rising and racing to the top, hundreds of them, maybe thousands. I had just failed to earn my scuba certification for that day.

In the midst of every inconceivable distraction; stop, breath, and look to what will bring you to the goal. Muddy floors, freezing currents, ugly fish, oxygen levels, low visibility...these are mere distractions - obstacles to be conquered - fears to be overcome. Instead keep a steady and unwavering eye on your compass, for it eagerly and relentlessly shows you the way.

No comments: