Wednesday, August 31, 2005

this means war

Yesterday I discovered a couple of tiny roaches around the kitchen sink. I killed them without hesitation, after all they're tiny roaches. Then I saw another one, a bigger one. I hesitated. I had foolishly believed that I had exterminated all traces of cock roaches in my apartment by my sheer determination, by simply killing every one in sight and with roach bait traps. And it's been a while since I've seen a roach too, which added to my foolish and false conclusion. So I decided to look thru all the cabinets and drawers. As I looked around and around everything looked free of roaches and their disgusting hints that they've been there. But as I surveyed the top of the refrigerator where my roommate keeps his cereal and bread (unclosed and unsealed I might add) I was shocked to see 2-3 fairly big roaches crawling along the cabinets (right above the fridge). I opened that cabinet slowly with the greatest awareness only to discover what seemed like a breeding ground of the enemy. I sprayed it very well. Shortly after I noticed larger ones being bold enough to come out and crawl along the walls and the counter tops, probably running away from their newly discovered (and newly destroyed) hiding place. And to think that I had exterminated them again proves just how foolish I really am...

Now it is the following day. After watching a movie I turn on the kitchen lights so I can grab a screw driver from one of the cabinets. Before I step foot on the kitchen floor I am amazed, no, dumb-founded, to see 2-3 big roaches casually walking about on the counter tops. I immediately grabbed the roach spray, my new best friend, and sprayed them off. As I let out a sigh of relief I was just about to let down my guard to place the spray bottle down. But I didn't even get a chance. Before I could place my best friend down I saw another one crawling along towards the sink, and it was running this time! I sprayed every cabinet corner, between every crevice, and along the floor perimeter. But even as I was doing that I saw the head, along with two antennaes, sticking out of a crevice in the outer cabinet, right beneath the counter top. It wasn't long before I couldn't believe my eyes...the roaches were swarming - they must've been hungry. I'm going in for another round of roach slaughtering in a few more minutes. I can only hope that my best friend can hold up.

Note to self - call the exterminator tomorrow!

No comments: