Sunday, August 7, 2005

ultimate frisbee day

I've made much progress in the office lately so I'm treating myself to an early release from the office and participate in a game of ultimate frisbee. Although I hardly ever get to touch the frisbee when I play I do enjoy running around pretending like I know what I'm doing. I found that the figure-eight is the best pattern to run...but it has to be a sufficiently big enough figure-eight, otherwise it just looks funny and people will catch on and take advantage of your novice-level ultimate frisbee incompetence. By chance they do catch on, change your pattern to something like a figure-O pattern. Again, it has to be a sufficiently big figure-O, otherwise you'll look lost out there literally running in small circles. The majority of the ultimate frisbee players seem to be from the local Chinese church. They're a youthful bunch. Most of the time I feel like a race horse that is out-matched by every other race horse. But although I am a little older and a lot slower, all it takes is for me to get a glimpse of your eye, then I can take off like the wind leaving you choking on my trail of dust, just like SeaBiscuit. Unfortunately this increased level of performance only lasts for a few seconds, which is very unlike SeaBiscuit. But then again SeaBiscuit got to wear horse shoes. I don't know why I feel like SeaBiscuit today. Maybe it's the weather we're having right now, the kind that precedes almost every thunderstorm in Texas. Maybe it's the chinese food I had for lunch. Or maybe it's because I'm wearing a tie. Or maybe it's because I'm two hours away from running around with other race horses. What ever it is it's an inspiration. I think every woman, man, and child has a SeaBiscuit inside them somewhere. I'm still trying to teach mine to be a horse again.

No comments: